Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Book Cover Redo

We were asked to take an existing book and come up with a new book jacket. The styles and specifications were pretty open, so I elected to go back to scratchboard, something I haven't done since high school. I actually decided to use this approach before I picked the book I wanted to do.

As you can hopefully tell from looking at the image, the book I chose is Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book, which is essentially a twist on the classic Jungle Book story. Although I own and love the book, the cover always irked me a bit. I liked the colors and everything (although the artist's style without and within the book were a tad out there for my tastes), but I just didn't think it communicated the idea of the book as as whole. So with that in mind, I tried thinking of the best--or at least a more effective--way of giving the viewer a glimpse of what's inside...

*[Keep in mind that this image is actually for the entire jacket, meaning it's intended to be wrapped around from front to back.]

Of course it was only after I was close to finishing that my brother pointed out some of the original cover's subtlety (i.e. there's actually a boy's profile in the shadow running up against the gravestone), making my version close to moot. Whatever.

Original Cover Art by Dave McKean

2 comments: