Friday, December 11, 2009

Narrative Illustration--Character/Background Project

After weeks of studying emotions, mood and character design, we were finally assigned to implement our unique character into a background to begin to tell a story (hence the Narrative Illustration course description). The background alone required several color studies and examination of lighting and additional research. The end product is what you see here.

Actually, the word "end" is a bit of a misnomer--this piece is technically still "under construction" as they say... but it's mostly finished.

Those of you who have in the past followed my cartoon blogs will hopefully recognize this character from my most-recent-yet-indefinitely-postponed Skum of the Universe. My current plan is to continue with a series of these Illustrations and implement them into said blog. It's the only way to get the character and his unresolved story out of my head.

gouache, prismacolor

4 comments:

  1. It looks fascinating! I"m going to ask a really stupid question though because I can't tell. Are you drawing this on the computer or by hand?

    ReplyDelete
  2. By hand. It's a painting done in gouache, like the others. I prefer the feeling of working something out that I can "feel," and I get that more from hand crafted art. I'm also pretty mediocre in digital painting right now, so we'll see how that goes in the future. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I posted a comment first thing Sat when I got home and now Where is it??? Anyway, LOVE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete